Manado porridge or Tinutuan is one of the typical food from Manado (Minahasa), one of the ethnic groups in Indonesia are located in Northern Sulawesi island, known as the Land of Toar Lumimuut.
Tinutuan basically a dish made of rice porridge mixed with various vegetables such as water spinach, edible hibiscus, spinach, pumpkin, cassava and sweet corn.
Tinutuan usually served at a group of farmers worked together to complete processing of agricultural land (Mapalus). Tinutuan served on long tables are paved with banana leaves and eaten with each accompanied by typical drinks of Minahasa called saguer (fluid tapped from Mayang palm trees).
As a popular dish in Manado, Tinutuan currently be found in nearly all restaurants and food stalls. And the famous are Wakeke Street in downtown Manado. Manadonese serve this dish as breakfast.
Tinutuan is a good for a healthy diet, high in fiber and contain as many nutrients
- 1 cup of rice
- a bunch of Kangkung (water spinach, Ipomoea aquatica Forsk)
- a bunch Daun Gedi (Edible hibiscus, Hibiscus manihot L.)
- a bunch Bayam (spinach, Alternanthera amoena Voss)
- 300 gram Labu manis (pumpkin, Cucurbita pepo), cut in pieces
- 300 gram Singkong (cassava, Manihot esculenta Crantz), cut in pieces
- 5 cobs of Jagung manis (sweet corn, Zea mays L.), separated from the cob
- 2 pieces of Sereh (lemongrass, Cymbopogon citratus (DC.) Stapf), cut into ±5 cm in length then crack it with pestle
- 2 stalks of Kemangi (basil, Ocimum sanctum L.)
- Salt to taste
How to make:
- Wash and drain rice.
- Wash all vegetables and pat dry
- Enter the rice, cassava, pumpkin and sweet corn in a pot with enough water,
- Cook the rice until almost become porridge,
- Enter water spinach, edible hibiscus, spinach, lemongrass and basil,
- Add salt to taste for seasoning,
- Stir until all ingredients are cooked and porridge into a thick.
Tinutuan more delicious when served in a warm state, coupled with cakalang fufu goreng (fried ‘smoked tuna’), ikan garam (salted fish), perkedel milu (corn cakes), perkedel nike (fish nike cakes, Nike are typical of fish from Tondano Lake), fried tofu or boiled, mixed with dabu-dabu bakasang or dabu-dabu roa.